Amazon does not require a credit card. In order to download e-books without a credit card, you will need to change your default 1-click payment method at Amazon.com. Follow the steps below:
- Visit “Your account,” then scroll to Account Settings and click on 1-Click Settings.
- Click the “Enter a new address” button.
- Enter your information, then click “Continue.”
You may be prompted to enter debit or credit card information, but this is not required. If you would like to purchase books without a credit card, you may still apply a gift card to your account at Amazon.com (requires being registered and logged in)
iTunes does not require a credit card to download apps. Please follow the instructions below to set up your library’s iTunes account without a credit card.
- If you do not have an iTunes account, please go to http://www.apple.com/itunes
- You will need to download iTunes on to the computer you plan to use by clicking “Download iTunes.” This download and installation may take some time, so have something else to do while you wait.
- Once you the download has finished installing, open iTunes.
- In the iTunes program, click on the navigation tab near the top of the main page to visit the App Store
- Once the App Store has finished loading, scroll down until you see a listing of Free Apps on the right side in a navigation panel
- Click on a free app of your choice. It does not matter which app you select.
- After clicking on the app, a new window will load in the same frame. You should see information about the free app.
- Click the “Free App” button
- A new window will pop up asking you to sign into an account to download the app. Select “Create New Account”
- iTunes will welcome you to the store. Select “Continue.”
- Fill in all of the fields. You may uncheck the boxes about receiving additional e-mails if you choose.
- When finished, select “Continue”
- When prompted to provide a payment method, select the last option (“None”).
- Provide all other information, including gift card codes and your address. Gift cards may also be applied later.
- When finished, select “Continue.”
- You will receive e-mail confirmation a few minutes after submission. Your confirmation e-mail will include a link. Click the e-mailed link to continue the account creation process.
- A window should open in your internet browser.
- ITunes should open and load a new page, confirming your account creation
- You may now log into your iTunes account and load gift cards on it at any time without needing a credit card.
Detailed instructions on setting up your iTunes account with a gift card instead of a credit card can also be found here.
Sony Reader Store
Sony Reader Store does not require a credit card on file to set up your account or to download e-books. Once you set up your account, you may freely download any free e-book. You may also redeem your Sony Reader Store gift card later at any time. E-book downloads from the Sony Reader Store are done from the Sony Reader Library software.
Borders does not require a credit card on file to download e-books. You may download free e-books on their site for many e-books. As you can see in the screenshot below, some e-books allow you to download the file directly from the site (by clicking “download pdf” or “download epub”), while others do not. Purchasing e-books from Borders – you may also apply gift cards to your Borders account when you are “checking out.” You will still need to enter all of your information when ordering. If you plan on purchasing e-books with your gift cards, you may do so as long as the gift card covers the full amount of the e-book. If the gift card only partially pays for the e-book, a credit card is needed to cover the remaining balance.
Barnes & Noble
Barnes & Noble requires a credit card to download any e-books from their e-bookstore, whether or not the book costs money. Even with a gift card tied to your Barnes & Noble account, you will need a credit card on file to purchase any e-book from B&N, regardless of cost. However, you may set up your nook account without a credit card and sideload e-books on your nook that are not from the Barnes & Noble store.
Other E-Book Sources
Here are some places where you can find e-books for your nook without a credit card:
- Free e-books from Sony (requires Sony Reader Library software)
- Free e-books from Borders
- Free sci-fi e-books from Baen Free Library
- Free public domain books from Project Gutenberg
- The nook can also download library books from OverDrive Digital Libraries
- Free e-books are also aggregated and listed at e-reader forums like MobileRead